Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ancient Grain Breakfast Porridge

I've lived in the north and in the south for extended periods of time. I've found that northerners and southerners are quite proud of their breakfast options, and quite loyal to them. Up north, we ate porridge, or cream of wheat/rice etc. In the south, you will almost certainly find grits, bacon and biscuits on the breakfast table. I've been fortunate enough to develop a taste for porridge and grits, so I don't feel at odds at anyone's breakfast table, but every now and then I like to branch out and try a new take on an old classic.

I've found myself experimenting with several new grains lately. I didn't even know what quinoa was 3 years ago, and now I don't remember life without it. Breakfast is said to be the most important meal, so why not pack in the healthy grains early on in your day?

Unlike instant breakfast porridge, or most cereals for that matter, this recipe is not loaded with sugar and preservatives and is delicious by itself or with fresh or dried fruit, or a spoonful of apricot preserves.

Ancient Grain Breakfast Porridge



Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Yields 1 serving




Ingredients:
  • 2 tbs quinoa, rinsed
  • 2 tbs amaranth
  • 2 tbs polenta
  • 1 1/2 cup water or almond milk
  • Any toppings you desire, fruit, jam, nuts, etc. 
Instructions: 
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa, amaranth, polenta, and water or milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally,  for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and the grains are tender. 
  2. Transfer to a bowl and top with your desired toppings.


I swirled in some pistachios and a dollop of apricot preserves

No comments:

Post a Comment