Thursday, September 11, 2014

Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

I grew up 30 minutes away from Hershey Park, so my love affair with Hershey candy started at an early age. Unfortunately for Hershey, as I got older I fell out of love with sugary treats and fell in love with decadently dark chocolate. However, there are some flavor combinations a girl doesn't like to go without, take peanut butter cups for instance.

While I'm on the subject of peanut butter cups, I'll take a moment to acknowledge what a brilliant idea they were! Thank you Mr. Milton Hershey for your chocolate bars, and thank you Mr. George Washington Carver for introducing peanut butter in the 1880s. Okay, enough history for the day, lets whip up some homemade peanut butter cups.

For this recipe you can either make your own chocolate cups, it's incredibly easy, or buy some chocolate cups for desserts or cordials at a grocery store. Below, I give the instructions on how to make your own, but just skip that part if you buy cups from the store.

Vegan Peanut Butter Cups



Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

Makes approximately 10 mini cups

Ingredients:
  • 6 oz chocolate bar or chocolate chips (make sure to use vegan chocolate to keep the recipe vegan), I prefer 70% or darker
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter, home made or store bought, melted
  • mini cupcake liners
Instructions:
  1. Place a mini cupcake pan in your freezer for at least 15 minutes. If you are using pre-made chocolate cups, then skip to step 2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler on the stove. Once the chocolate has melted, pour about 1/2 tbs into a mini cupcake liner and roll the liner around to coat the sides. Remove the pan from your freezer and place your chocolate coated-liners in the tin. Set the pan in the fridge and let the chocolate set for 15 to 20 minutes. 
  2. Remove the pan from the fridge. Spoon melted peanut butter into the chocolate cups until they are 80% full. Return the pan to the fridge and let the peanut butter set for 10 minutes. 
  3. Remove the pan from the fridge and top the cups with the remaining chocolate, filling the cups to the top. Return the pan to the fridge for the last time and let the chocolate set up for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Then devour them!


4 comments:

  1. OMG those are so beautiful! I get so intimidated with trying to make things that I haven't made before, but I really should give these a shot this Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy, so don't feel intimidated. Show that chocolate confection who's boss!
      I love Hershey Park too. I have so many fond memories!

      Delete
  2. Oh also, I went to Hershey Park twice in middle school! I loved that place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I so want to make Peanut butter cups, they seem to be very popular. I hope to some day soon.

    ReplyDelete