Monday, September 1, 2014

Vegan Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp

Today kicks off VeganMoFo! Day 1!!! I do not normally follow a vegan diet, but I have friends and family who do. Therefore, I accept the challenge of VeganMoFo and will post at least 20 vegan posts this month! I am so excited!!!



I was walking through the grocery store when I spotted some fresh rhubarb. I had always loved the strawberry rhubarb pies that were sold in the area where I grew up, but I had never experimented with rhubarb before. I decided that would not hold me back. I selected a few stalks of rhubarb, bagged them, bought them, and baked them. The result was this delicious little dessert!

Vegan Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

Serves 6



Ingredients: 

Filling:

  • 4 stalks of rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 16 oz. strawberries, slices
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/2 cup sugar
Crisp:
  • 8 oz ground almonds
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 4 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tsp ground flax
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 6 tbs applesauce
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. 
  2. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, cinnamon, tapioca starch, and sugar, stirring to combine. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the crisp topping. 
  3. In a separate bowl combine the almonds, oats, sugar, flax, cinnamon, and applesauce until just combined. Do not over mix. 
  4. Pour the strawberry mixture into a square glass baking dish and bake the fruit for 10 minutes. 
  5. Remove the fruit filling and sprinkle the crisp topping over the dish. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is a dark brown. 

1 comment:

  1. i'm mostly gluten-free - except for some occasional beer :) and this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete