Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Simple and Healthy Peanut Butter

Have you ever stopped and read the ingredients on a jar of brand-name peanut butter? There are so many oils and other unnecessary products in there! One of my favorite snacks is peanut butter, it closely trails dark chocolate. However, I don't want my peanut "spread" to contain only 60% peanuts. What's the other 40% of my peanut butter comprised of?! I didn't feel like finding out, I just felt like fixing the issue.
Peanut Butter is one of those snacks I could sit down with a spoon and eat half a cup before I realized the damage I had done. Once I started making my own, real, peanut butter, I could only eat a few tablespoons before I was full and satisfied. How's that for real food doing its job to nourish your body and fill you up? It's incredibly simple and much cheaper than store bought butters. Needless to say, I won't be going back to store-bought peanut "spreads"...

Healthy, Real, Peanut Butter




Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes

Makes about 1.5 cups of Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
  • 1 16oz bag of raw blanched peanuts
  • 4 Tbs Honey (or maple syrup for vegan option)
  • 1 tsp salt (I use Himalayan pink sea salt)
Instructions: 
  1.  Preheat the oven to 350 F. While the oven is preheating, spread the peanuts out on a baking sheet. Once oven has heated up, place the sheet of peanuts in the oven and roast until they start to turn light brown, approximately 15 minutes. Remove once they start to turn brown, because they will continue to cook once they are removed from the oven. 
  2. Allow the peanuts to cool for 10 minutes. Once the peanuts have cooled, place them in a food processor and process until they form a grainy flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the salt and the honey and continue to process until smooth butter is formed. The amount of time this will take will vary based on the food processor, approximately 10 minutes. 
  3. Store peanut butter in a Tupperware container in the fridge. The oils in this butter will not separate like store-bought "Natural" Peanut Butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment