Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fish Tacos

I absolutely love fish tacos! When ordering fish tacos, the fish can be battered and fried, blackened, or grilled. I am not a fan of frying my food, but I have perfected an easy, not fried, at-home, no-grill-required, weeknight staple. This recipe came about as a weeknight experiment that, unlike several other culinary experiments, went really well. Without further ado, I present to you my version of fish tacos.


Fish Tacos


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes

Serves 4


Ingredients

  • Tilapia fillets (16 oz. total), thawed if using frozen
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup flour (I use GF oat flour to keep mine gluten-free)
  • 1/2 tsp Mexican Chili Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Cumin
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp Paprika
  • Corn tortillas (I prefer Banderitos) 
  • Homemade Guacamole 
  • Salsa
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Rinse and pat dry the tilapia fillets. Evenly salt both sides of the fish and allow to sit for 5 minutes. 
  3. While the fish is sitting, combine the flour and spices in a gallon Ziploc bag.
  4. Cut the tilapia into 2 inches wide and 3 inches long strips and place in the bag. 
  5. Shake the bag to coat the fish evenly with the flour and spice blend.
  6. Place the coated fish pieces on the prepared pan. Bake for 6 minutes, flip the fish and bake for until the flour has turned golden brown, approximately 6 more minutes.
  7. Fill 2 corn tortillas with baked fish and top with guacamole, salsa, and any other favorite taco toppings. In the picture, I added chunks of blackened pineapple and sauteed onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment