Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Best Homemade Guacamole

I'm a purist when it comes to my guacamole. In high school, my soccer coach was from Mexico and he taught me how to make great Mexican staples, one of which was guacamole. Muchas gracias tio Tony! I have never looked back since. That being said, I don't often order guacamole at restaurants for two reasons. One, it's pricey and two, I don't like red onion or other assorted vegetables in my guacamole. Like I said, I'm a purist when it comes to my guac, and everyone who has tried it, has asked me how to replicate it, so here it goes.

Homemade Guacamole

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Serves 4


Ingredients 
  • 2-3 ripe avocados
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I use kosher because its larger and imparts more saltiness)
  • 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
  • Any additional spices*
  • Corn tortilla chips

Instructions
  1. Cut up the avocados and place them in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the lime juice, cumin, and salt* to the cut avocados and mash with a fork to break up larger chunks of avocado. 
  3. Add the chopped cilantro to the bowl and whip all ingredients together like whisking eggs. 
  4. Either serve immediately with corn tortilla chips (my favorite chips are Xochitl Sea Salt corn chips) or press saran wrap to the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate until ready to serve. The guacamole will start to brown if the saran wrap is not pressed to the surface, or if it is refrigerated for several hours.
Notes
*my sister likes to add a dash of paprika and cayenne to her guacamole and it's a delicious addition, especially if you don't favor the flavor of cumin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment