Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hearty Trail Mix Pancakes

I've tried to like Bob's gluten free pancake mix, but I haven't been successful in that endeavor, until now. I previously thought the mix was too earthy and reminiscent of high-fiber cereal. It didn't taste bad, it just wasn't the consistency and flavor that I desired in my pancakes...until now. Instead of trying to combat the earthiness of the mix, I decided I'd roll with it by adding trail mix-like ingredients. A combination of tart, sweet, and crunchy proved to be great additions to this batter.

This morning reminded me of the episode of Friends where Rachel tries to make the trifle for thanksgiving and adds custard, meat, and peas all in one entree. Joey's remarks are, "What's not to like? Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, good!" Although the combination of ingredients in these pancakes is not nearly as far fetched as Rachel's custard, my roommate's comments were similar to Joey's. As she sat down to breakfast and tasted the pancakes, she said, "I really like these! I like cranberries. I like chocolate chips. I like sunflower seeds. What's not to like. They don't even need a topping, you could use a jam, but that's not even necessary."

I hope you are as pleasantly surprised by them as she and I were!






Hearty Trail Mix Pancakes


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 4 (3 pancakes/serving)

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (use GF to keep gluten free)
  • 1 cup Bob's gluten free pancake mix
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cup almond milk (I used Almond Breeze original 30 cal)
  • 1 Tbs olive oil, plus more for pan  (can substitute apple sauce)
  • 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
Instructions:

  1.  In a food processor or high-power blender, combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. While the machine is running, add the almond milk and olive oil in a slow steady stream. 
  2. Pour the batter into a mixing bowl and add the chocolate chips, cranberries, and sunflower seeds and mix to combine. Allow the batter to sit for at least 5 minutes to set.
  3. Heat 1 Tbs olive oil on a non-stick skillet over medium-low (4 on my electric stove). Pour the batter onto the pan and flip after the pancakes begin to form bubbles around their rims, approximately 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook another 2 minutes. Mix before you pour out the next batch of pancakes as the trail mix ingredients will settle to the bottom of the bowl. Yields about 12 three inch pancakes.
  4. They are delicious by themselves, but feel free to top them with apple butter, syrup, jam, or any of your favorite toppings and enjoy!



Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment