Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Pastina-Style Mac-n-"cheese"

Good news and bad news. I recently found out that I am slightly lactose intolerant. This is both good and bad because I've been trying to pin down what often causes me to feel bloated and I think lactose is the main culprit. This is bad, because I love cheese! Especially mac-n-cheese! So...naturally I was thrilled when I accidentally made an excellent lactose (and gluten) free substitute.



Gluten-Free Pastina-Style Mac-n-"cheese"

Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Serves 1

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup gluten-free brown rice pasta (I use Tinkyada brown rice shells)
  • 1 cup Almond Breeze original almond milk
  • 1/8 tsp herbamare plus more to taste

Instructions

  1. Pour almond milk and herbamare in a small saucepan. Cover and heat over medium heat until simmering. Pour in the shells and simmer until almond milk thickens to consistency of thin custard and noodles are cooked through (see picture below), about 10 minutes. 
  2. Remove from heat and add more herbamare to taste. Enjoy promptly, the pasta will dry out the longer it sits. 





No comments:

Post a Comment